2007 Pan American Games Qualifying Procedure
04 May 2005 07:49
The Pan American Hockey Federation has announced the qualifying procedure for the 2007 Pan American Games to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 13-29 July, 2007.
It is recognized that all countries in the Pan American Hockey Federation should have the opportunity to qualify for the Pan American Games through a regional tournament held during the two years immediately preceeding the Pan American Games year.
While the 6th South American Championships and the 20th Central American and Caribbean Games will provide this opportunity for most countries, there is no opportunity for countries from North America (Canada and USA).
Taking the above premise into consideration, the following is the official qualification procedure for the men's and women's hockey tournaments at the XV Pan American Games:
1. Host country.
2. The first and second placed countries at the 6th South American Championships (as long as a minimum of four countries participates).
3. The first and second placed countries at the 20th Central American and Caribbean Games (as long as a minimum of four countries participates).
4. Two countries not already qualified under paragraphs 1 - 3 above, based on final rankings at the 2nd Pan American Cup.
5. The eighth country will be determined after the conclusion of the 6th South American Championships or the 20th CAC Games (whichever is held later). Should Canada (women) or USA (men) NOT have qualified under the procedure outlined in paragraphs 1 - 4 above, then that men's and/or women's team will play a three-match series at a neutral venue against the men's or women's country which would have qualified for the Pan American Games as a third country in accordance with paragraph 4 above, with the winner filling the eighth (8th) place in the respective men's or women's tournament.
- If there are less than four participants in either the 6th South American Championships or the 20th CAC Games, an additional country will qualify based on rankings in the 2nd Pan American Cup.
- Canada (women) and USA (men) finished 3rd and 7th respectively in the 2004 Pan American Cup and will have to qualify under paragraph 4. Based on the final rankings at the 2004 Pan American Cup, Canada (women) may qualify as one of the two under paragraph 4. However, the USA (men) are unlikely to qualify through this process and will be allowed the opportunity to do so via the three-match series against the country that would have qualified as a third country under paragraph 4.
For more information, visit the Pan American Hockey Federation web site: www.panamhockey.org