School/Club Link Program Information
The program is based on providing a complete "Hockey Package" to the school. This package can be utilised on either a school or class basis and consists of the following:
- One "theory" type session per class or group. This session covers the safety issues of the game, some facts and figures and the base rules of the game. The session is supported by Video presentations and introduces the sport of Hockey.
Three practical coaching sessions with each class or group. These sessions cover:
- Stick work / Dribbling
- Dribbling, Passing and Receiving
- Passing and Receiving / Tackling
- Tackling / Game Introduction
- (All equipment is supplied by Hockey SA)
- A fun, Round robin competition with other classes / schools involved run in conjunction with your local Hockey Club
Associated with the program, schools will be provided with a School / Club Link Resource Kit which provides information, ideas and resources for use in all the key learning areas. The contents of the kit are cross-referenced back to the SACSA learning outcomes met by each section.
The School / Club link program operates in the following manner:
Hockey SA Development Officers visit the School and conduct the 4 sessions:
- Information / Rules Session to introduce the Safety aspects and basic rules. This session is supported by Video presentations from the Gold Medal winning Hockeyroos
- The Development Officers return for the same session over the next three weeks to conduct the hands on coaching sessions. These sessions teach skills in a "student friendly" manner and culminate in putting these skills into a mini game environment.
- The final step in the program includes involvement from the local Hockey Club in conducting a fun "round robin" series of games between schools within the area or alternatively between classes in the school. This final step introduces students and teachers to the local Hockey Club and creates the link for the students to take up the sport.
Additional links are formed through the students being invited to take part in Hockey SA Development Programs and being provided with information on the Local Club competition. The next step for Schools involved with the program is to enter an alliance with their local club through the "Take it On Program" which is a progression from the Schools / Club Link Program. Take it on operates as an After School Care program and continues with the development of hockey skills for students through direct involvement with the local Hockey Club.
Penny Redmond, Youth Panel Australia