International workshop for Development Officers, Singapore.
From 17 till 19 October 2002 the international workshop for Development Officers took place in Singapore. Conductors of this workshop were Theo Ykema (Chairman FIH Development & Coaching Committee) and Tayyab Ikram (FIH Development Officer for Asia). Twenty six participants from 15 NHAs took part in this successful workshop.
After discussing the important roles that the National, Continental & International Hockey Federation play in hockey development, the current hockey development situation and the hockey potential was presented by each NHA representative(s).
Tips were given on how to draft a National Hockey Development Plan and with this knowledge the participants, divided over several task forces, made a basic analysis and a development plan for the countries listed below:
- Bangladesh (drafted by Brig Mussarat Ullah Khan, Shamsul Bari, Ahmed Khan, U Kyaw Naing, Zaw Linn, Sumith Edirisinghe, Mathavan Devadas)
- India (drafted by Michele Arnold, Tony Cheung, Kannan Krishnamurthy, Luis Cesar, U Kyaw Thein, V.K. Chelvan)
- Fiji (drafted by Gill Gemming, Tai Beng Hai, Mohamed Ali, Panakal Raphael)
- Sri Lanka (drafted by Muraleedharan, Kim Sang Ryul,Nordin Manaf, Lukshumayeh, P. Wishwanathan, Gamini Jayasinghe Prof. Primadi )
- Singapore ( this was done previously by the Singapore Hockey Federation)
This workshop was the very first exercise in Asia and this was an important attempt to obtain a deep insight with regard to development aspects.
It has enhanced the awareness about the importance of development planning, vision and prioritizing. An introduction to the implementation and effectiveness of actions was also covered.
One complete session was dedicated to focus on the differences between inadequate and effective plans. This exercise also focused on important elements such as identifying opportunities & potentials and also setting up self evaluation and programme assessments.
Some examples of strong development structures and effective programmes were given. The workshop has added value in improving the development and planning culture in this region.
Contents of the Workshop:
General analysis of the NHAs development situation
Assesment of development planning
Making a National Development Plan
Important essentials in development planning
FIH and AHF services for NHAs
Analysis of Development Plans and feedback